- Polemic, Power, and Popular Opinion: Al-Jahiz's Social Argumentation on the Muslim-Christian Encounter in Abbasid Iraq [peer-reviewed, revisions in preparation].
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Gibson, Nathan P., David A. Michelson, and Daniel L. Schwartz. “From Manuscript Catalogues to a Handbook of Syriac Literature: Modeling an Infrastructure for Syriaca.org.” Journal of Data Mining and Digital Humanities Special Issue on Computer-Aided Processing of Intertextuality in Ancient Languages (May 30, 2017). http://jdmdh.episciences.org/1395.
- Gibson, Nathan P. “A Mid-Ninth-Century Arabic Translation of Isaiah? Glimpses from Al-Jāḥiẓ.” In Senses of Scripture, Treasures of Tradition: The Bible in Arabic among Jews, Christians and Muslims, edited by Miriam Lindgren Hjälm, 327–69. Biblia Arabica 5. Leiden: Brill, 2017.
- Gibson, Nathan, Miriam L. Hjälm, Peter Tarras, Ronny Vollandt, and Vevian Zaki. “The Bible in Arabic: An Update on the State of Research.” In Between the Cross and the Crescent: Studies in Honor of Samir Khalil Samir, S.J. on the Occasion of His Eightieth Birthday, edited by Željko Paša, 57–84. Orientalia Christiana Analecta 304. Rome: Pontifical Oriental Institute, 2018. Preprint:
https://doi.org/10.5282/ubm/epub.49819 | https://doi.org/10.17613/M6Z892D9J.
- Andrew Platt and Nathan P. Gibson, “Inquiring of ‘Beelzebub’: Timothy and al-Jāḥiẓ on Christians in the Abbasid Legal System,” in David Bertaina et al. (eds.), Heirs of the Apostles: Studies on Arabic Christianity in Honor of Sidney H. Griffith. Arabic Christianity: Texts and Studies. Leiden: Brill, 2019.
https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004383869_013. Preprint: https://epub.ub.uni-muenchen.de/59778.
- Gibson, Nathan P., and David A. Michelson. "Modeling a Body of Literature in TEI: The New Handbook of Syriac Literature" [Project/Tool Note]. Journal of the Text Encoding Initiative Selected Papers from the 2016 TEI Conference [accepted, revisions in preparation]. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/M6V67M.
- Gibson, Nathan P., and Ronny Vollandt. “6.1 Cross-Communal Scholarly Interactions.” In Routledge Handbook of Scientific Practices in Islamicate Societies (8th–19th Centuries), edited by Sonja Brentjes. Routledge Handbooks. New York: Routledge [in typesetting].
Reference Works (Author & Editor)
- Michelson, David A. and Nathan P. Gibson (eds.). A Guide to Syriac Authors. The Syriac Biographical Dictionary 2. Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal, 2016. http://syriaca.org/authors.
Reference Works (Editor)
- Vollandt, Ronny, and Nathan P. Gibson, eds. Bibliography of the Arabic Bible: A Classified and Annotated History of Scholarship. Munich: Biblia-Arabica.com, 2018.
Reference Series (Editor)
- Gibson, Nathan P. and David A. Michelson (eds.). The New Handbook of Syriac Literature. Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal, 2016–. http://syriaca.org/nhsl.
- Michelson, David A. (gen. ed.), Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, Nathan P. Gibson, and Daniel Schwartz (assoc. eds.). The Syriac Biographical Dictionary. Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal, 2016–.
Published Conference Proceedings
- Gibson, Nathan P., Winona Salesky, and David A. Michelson. “Encoding Western and Non-Western Names for Ancient Syriac Authors.” In Proceedings of the Symposium on Cultural Heritage Markup. Balisage Series on Markup Technologies 16. Washington, D.C., 2015.
Invited Public Lectures
- “Physicians, Philosophers, and Polymaths: New Research on Christian Intellectuals during the ‘Golden Age’ of Islam,” at Munich Center for Islamic Studies (MZIS), Munich, December 12, 2017.
- “Thinking in ⅃TЯ: Reorienting the Directional Assumptions of Global Digital Scholarship” (Plenary Address), at Right2Left Workshop, Digital Humanities Summer Institute, Victoria, June 8 2019,
Other Conference Papers
- “Five Centuries of History in a Network,” at What is text, really? TEI and beyond (TEI Conference 2019), Graz, September 20, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3452743.
- “State of Arabic Manuscript Description,” (with Ronny Vollandt) at Sinai Library Digitization Project Scholars Meeting, Athens, October 5, 2018, https://tinyurl.com/ba181005.
- “Scholar-Converts as Hubs of Knowledge Exchange in the Medieval Islamicate World,” at Institute for Near and Middle Eastern Studies Research Workshop “Conversions—Changing Sides,” Munich, June 12, 2018, https://tinyurl.com/gibson180612.
- “Networks of Biblical Scholarship: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Collaboration in Biographical Literature,” at The Bible in Arabic International Conference, Tel Aviv, November 7, 2017,
- “The Christian Orient in Islamic Sources: Discovering Interdisciplinary Connections on the Digital Frontier,” at 33. Deutscher Orientalistentag, Jena, September 19, 2017, https://tinyurl.com/gibson170919.
- “Robust Digital Approaches to Literary History: The Case of Syriac,” at North American Patristics Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, Ill., May 27, 2017, https://goo.gl/4MYc2X.
- “Reading between the Lines: Mining History from Polemic using Argumentation Analysis,” at Rhetorik oder Realität, Graduate School Distant Worlds, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, Germany, April 25, 2017.
- “Interreligious Contacts among Abbasid Scholars: A Digital Approach using Network Analysis,” British Association for Islamic Studies, Chester, U.K., April 12, 2017.
- “Challenges of Polyvalent Infrastructures: The Case of Syriac Studies and Syriaca.org,” Global Philology Open Conference, Leipzig, Germany, February 22, 2017, http://goo.gl/v6up1E.
- “Toward a Cyberinfrastructure for Syriac Literature: Mapping a Text Corpus using TEI and RDF,” at Digital Classicist Seminar, Berlin, Germany, January 24, 2017,
- “Modeling a Body of Literature in TEI: Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca Electronica” (poster presentation, coauthored with David A. Michelson), at TEI Conference, Vienna, Austria, September 26-30, 2016, http://tei2016.acdh.oeaw.ac.at/poster-gallery.
- “What Did al-Jāḥiẓ Know about Christians? Terms, Doctrines, and Practices in the Works of a IXth c. Muslim,” at X Arab-Christian Congress, Rome, Italy, August 21-24, 2016.
- “The New Handbook of Syriac Literature: Bringing Syriac Literature into the Digital Landscape,” at XII Symposium Syriacum, Rome, Italy, August 19-21, 2016.
- “A Guide to Syriaca.org Reference Tools and Desiderata for Central and East Asia,” at the 5th International Conference on the Church of the East in China and Central Asia, Salzburg, Austria, June 19-22, 2016.
- “An Islamic Scholar in a Pluralistic Society: The Biography of al-Jahiz Reconsidered,” at the Third Annual Conference of the British Association for Islamic Studies, London, England, April 11-12, 2016.
- “Rhetoric as a Fulcrum of Power: How a Writer’s Words Helped the Caliph Turn Program into Practice,” at Research Workshop on Forms of Violence, Munich, Germany, April 8-9, 2016.
- “A Florilegium of Bad Translations: Al-Jahiz’s Ninth-Century Excerpts of Jewish Arabic Bible Translations,” at Christianity and Judaism in the Language of Islam: A Conference on the Bible in Arabic and Cognate Fields, Uppsala, Sweden, March 29-April 1, 2016.
- “Turning Friends into Enemies and Enemies into Friends: Al-Jahiz’s Attempt to Redefine Religious Identity in Ninth-Century Iraq,” at Faith and Community around the Mediterranean in Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages, Bucharest, Romania, March 7-8, 2016.
- “Reading History from Polemic: Al-Jāḥiẓ’s Portrayal of Christians in Abbasid Society,” at Research Colloquium in Arabic, Islamic, and Judaic Studies of the Institute for Near and Middle Eastern Studies, Munich, Germany, October 13, 2015.
- “Inquiring of ‘Beelzebub’: Christians between the Caliph’s Courts and the ‘Kingdom of God’” (coauthored with Andrew Platt), at Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Md., November 23-26, 2013.
- “The Miaphysite Arabian Triangle: Ghassānīya-Ḥirtā-Najrān in the Sixth Century C.E.,” at the 223rd Meeting of the American Oriental Society, Portland, Or., March 15-18, 2013.
- “Gospel Citations on the Virgin Birth from Ninth Century Muslim Writers,” at the IX Conference on Christian Arabic Studies, Valletta, Malta, July 19-21, 2012.
- “Abraham as a Point of Departure in the ‘Monk of Bet Hale’ Text,” at the XI Symposium Syriacum, Valletta, Malta, July 16-18, 2012.
- “Mountains and Plains: Geographical Exegesis in ‘On Solitaries,’” at the Sixth North American Syriac Symposium: Syriac Encounters, Duke University, June 26-29, 2011.